Park at Governor Dick

Clarence Schock Memorial Park at Governor Dick Environmental Center

                             Mt Gretna Pa          717-964-3808   


Clarence Schock Memorial Park at Governor Dick is an 1105 acre stewardship forest and nature center nestled in the woods of Mt Gretna, Pa.

We offer educational programs, guided hikes and nature walks, and other outdoor events.  15 miles of trails in the park are enjoyed by hikers, bikers, equestrians,  families and dogs -- not to mention all the birds and butterflies attracted by several wildflower meadows.

 

Who was Governor Dick?

As far back as 1880, this mountain was described as 'Governor Dix Hill'.  It is believed that a woodchopper and charcoal burner worked exclusively on the mountain felling and burning trees.  His name was Dick.  Because of the huge amount of charcoal he produced and his popularity, he was referred to as 'Gov-nuh Dick'.  After his death this wooded area came to be called Governor Dix Hill....and in more recent times - Governor Dick.

Environmental Center Hours:
April through November:  Wed. to Sat., 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.,
       Sundays 1 to 5.
March - Saturdays 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sundays 1 to 5 p.m.

Closed December through February except for special
      programs.

 

Who was Clarence Schock?

Between the years of 1934-1940, Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Schock purchased 1105 acres of Governor Dick Mountain. 

Clarence had started Schock Independent Oil Company with his father that had grown to have 14 wholesale plants and a dozen gasoline service stations.  He believed that after making provisions for his family, his estate should go for the general welfare of the public.  In 1941 he converted his business into a trust and provided that,  except for a modest living for himself and his wife, its income should go to public schools in the districts served by his company. 

As early as 1936, Clarence made the mountain available to the public.

In 1998 Lebanon County & the SICO Foundation were appointed trustees of the property.  A board of six directors was appointed to oversee the property.